Virginia women's tennis, ranked #11 in the country, continued their brilliant campaign with an impressive 6-1 victory over visiting Boston College on Friday. The Hoos are now 13-2 on the season, and have opened their ACC schedule with two victories against zero defeats.
"Any time you can come out in your outdoor home opener and get a conference win, it is a good day," said head coach Mark Guilbeau. "I was proud of the effort today. We had some new doubles pairings today and those players rose to that challenge and I was impressed with that. The players did a good job this week in practice preparing for this weekend. That effort showed today and hopefully we will be able to raise it to an even higher level on Sunday at Maryland."
Those new doubles pairings helped UVa to a sweep in the battle for the doubles point. At No. 2 doubles, Maria Fuccillo and Erin Vierra opened up with an 8-3 win, followed by an 8-5 victory at #3 doubles by the new pairing of Lindsey Hardenbergh and Caryssa Peretz. Emily Fraser and Hana Tomljanovic completed the sweep at #1 doubles.
The Cavaliers won five out of six singles matches, with the only loss coming at #4. At #1, Fraser defeated BC's Alex Kelleher, 6-3, 6-2. Full results beneath the fold.
#11 Virginia 6, #40 Boston College 1
1. #20 Fraser/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Kelleher/Khmylev (BC) 8-6
2. Fuccillo/Vierra (UVa) def. Corning/Kikuchi (BC) 8-3
3. Hardenbergh/Peretz (BC) def. Attwell/Gajic (BC) 8-5
1. #55 Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Alex Kelleher (BC) 6-3, 6-2
2. #71 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Erina Kikuchi (BC) 6-1, 6-2
3. #96 Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Katarina Gajic (BC) 7-5, 6-4
4. Veronica Corning (BC) def. #80 Erin Vierra (UVa) 6-4, 3-6, 10-2
5. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Katharine Attwell (BC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) def. Ina Kauppila (BC) 6-1, 4-6, 10-6
Order of Finish: