Virginia men's tennis ran their record to 17-0 on Friday, dropping #32 Oklahoma 5-2 in Norman, Oklahoma.
"I thought we competed hard in some tough conditions tonight," said head coach Brian Boland. "I was overall pleased with the effort. Give Oklahoma a lot of credit because they played an excellent match. We need to keep getting better with each match and look forward to playing a great Texas team on Sunday."
The Cavaliers took command with dominating performances by Alex Domijan, Michael Shabaz, and Sanam Singh at the top three singles seeds. Full results are below.
This was Virginia's first match since inexplicably dropping to #2 in the national team rankings (behind the University of Tennessee), despite not losing a game all season. The Hoos will seek to remain unbeaten with yet another road match, this one in Austin, TX, on Sunday vs. the Texas Longhorns.
#2 Virginia 5, #32 Oklahoma 2
1. #2 Shabaz/Courtney (UVa) def. Beleleu/Mihov (OU) 8-6
2. Paval/Siributwong (OU) def. Singh/Jenkins (UVa) 8-5
3. Uriguen/Rooda (UVa) def. Gavrila/Formentera (OU) 9-8
1. #2 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #65 Costin Paval (OU) 6-4, 6-2
2. #8 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. #34 Ionut Beleleu (OU) 6-1, 6-3
3. #22 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Laurentiu Gavrila (OU) 6-2, 6-1
4. #37 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. #113 Peerakit Siributwong (OU) 5-7, 7-6, 6-4
5. Tsvetan Mihov (OU) def. Justin Shane (UVa) 6-4, 7-6(4)
6. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. #109 Julen Uriguen (UVa) 7-5, 2-6, 7-6
Order of Finish