I can't think of a better way to begin the conference slate of games.
"I was impressed with our team this weekend," said head coach Mark Guilbeau. "It is always tricky when you play on the road one day and home the next, but we handled that well. We have played a lot of tennis over the first two months of the season and we have expended a lot, both physically and mentally. They deserve this upcoming break and we look to come back refreshed and ready for the rest of a challenging ACC schedule."
Virginia was led by top seed Emily Fraser, who took an easy 6-1, 6-3 victory over her Hokie counterpart, Yasmin Hamza. Soon thereafter, #3 seed Hana Tomljanovic defeated Tea Ivanovic (6-1, 6-2), and the rout was on. All the results are in the extended entry.
The Cavaliers won't play again until Boston College comes to town on March 18.
#8 Virginia 7, #68 Virginia Tech 0
1. Hamza/Johnson (VT) def. #11 Fraser/Tomljanovic (UVa) 8-6
2. #49 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Blakely/Rauscher (VT) 8-4
3. #35 Fuccillo/Teltumbde (UVa) def. Betts/Ivanovic (VT) 8-1
1. #50 Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Yasmin Hamza (VT) 6-1, 6-3
2. #42 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. #120 Martha Blakely (VT) 6-2, 6-4
3. #97 Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Tea Ivanovic (VT) 6-1, 6-2
4. #82 Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Holly Johnson (VT) 7-5, 6-1
5. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
6. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: