The beat rolls on for the brilliant top-ranked University of Virginia Men's Tennis team, as they claimed the program's fifth straight ACC Championship (and the 7th in 8 years). In the final, the Cavaliers (29-0) blanked #13 Duke, 4-0. In fact, Virginia defeated all three opponents in the ACC Tournament by 4-0 scores, becoming just the second team ever to accomplish that feat. The other team? Virginia, of course, back in 2009.
Is there anything that coach Boland's team cannot do?
"We have so much respect for the Atlantic Coast Conference," said head coach Brian Boland. "There are so many great teams in this conference. Each championship is special and this one feels every bit as good as the first. I am elated for this group of players that have worked so hard to get to this level."
Virginia opened the match by winning the doubles point. In singles, #1 seed (and co-tournament MVP) Michael Shabaz took a 7-5, 6-1 win over Duke's Henrique Cunha. At #3 singles, the other co-tournament MVP, Sanam Singh took a crucial 6-3, 6-3 match over Chris Mengel. Alex Domijan won the other singles match, 7-6(7), 6-0.
"It means a lot to us to win another championship," said Shabaz. "I think it is one of those things we are going to appreciate even more 10 years down the road. When you invest so much into your four years in this program, to go undefeated for four years in the ACC, regular season and tournament, it is an amazing accomplishment."
An amazing accomplishment indeed. Full results below. Virginia now heads to the 64-team NCAA Tournament. The seedings will be announced a week from tomorrow.
#1 Virginia 4, #13 Duke 0
1. #7 Cunha/Carleton (Duke) led #2 Courtney/Shabaz (UVa) 6-5 DNF
2. Jenkins/Uriguen (UVa) def. Holland/Mengel (Duke) 8-6
3. Domijan/Singh (UVa) def. Saba/Pinsky (Duke) 8-4
1. #5 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. #7 Henrique Cunha (Duke) 7-5, 6-1
2. #2 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #13 Reid Carleton (Duke) 7-6(7), 6-0
3. #36 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Chris Mengel (Duke) 6-3, 6-3
4. #53 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) vs. Fred Saba (Duke) 3-6, 6-3, 0-0 DNF
5. #39 Drew Courtney (UVa) vs. Torsten Wietoska (Duke) 7-6(1), 0-6, 0-0 DNF
6. Luke Marchese (Duke) led Julen Uriguen (UVa) 6-2, 5-5 DNF
Order of Finish