As expected, Saturday was another excellent day for the Virginia men's and women's tennis teams in the NCAA Tournament. The top-ranked UVa men won their round two match against Wake Forest, 4-1, to advance to their eighth consecutive Sweet Sixteen. With the win, the Hoos improved to 31-0 on the season.
"Give Wake Forest a lot of credit today," said head coach Brian Boland. "They played a very gritty match and, despite being shorthanded, had one of their best performances of the season. We struggled a little bit but we will be all right. We showed a lot of toughness at the end. We faced some adversity and hopefully coming through it like we did will pay off for in the long run."
The Cavalier men will travel to Stanford on Thursday, where they will face Illinois.
Meanwhile, the Virginia women, ranked #11 in the country, opened up their NCAA Tourney run with an easy 4-0 victory over Army.
"I was pleased with the result today," said head coach Mark Guilbeau. "It is always tough to come back after the three-week break after the ACC Tournament and having exams in there too. I felt like we handled that process very well and put ourselves in a good position for this weekend with our preparation during that break. We are looking forward to a great match tomorrow against NC State."
Similar to the men's experience, the Cavalier women (19-7) will face an ACC foe in round two. The match against NC State is scheduled to begin today at 1pm.
Full results below the fold.
#1 Virginia 4, #33 Wake Forest 1
1. #2 Courtney/Shabaz (UVa) led #35 Atkinson/Hopkins (WF) 6-4 DNF
2. Jenkins/Uriguen (UVa) def. Kreyman/Wolff (WF) 8-2
3. Domijan/Singh (UVa) def. Lee/Prabhakar (WF) 8-2
1. #5 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. #91 Jonathan Wolff (WF) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. #2 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Iain Atkinson (WF) 6-3, 7-5
3. #34 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Danny Kreyman (WF) 6-2, 6-2
4. #56 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) led David Hopkins (WF) 5-7, 7-6(2), 2-1 DNF
5. Adam Lee (WF) def. #39 Drew Courtney (UVa) 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Justin Shane (UVa) led Amogh Prabhakar (WF) 7-6(5), 3-6, 4-1
Order of Finish
#11 Virginia 4, Army 0
1. #32 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Houghton/Paul (Army) 8-4
2. #20 Fraser/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Colton/Hang (Army) 8-1
3. Fuccillo/Peretz (UVa) led Ilive/Riney (Army) 7-1 DNF
1. #27 Lindsey Hardenbergh def. Annie Houghton (Army) 6-0, 6-0
2. #60 Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Jamila Paul (Army) 6-1, 6-0
3. #101 Erin Vierra (UVa) led Erin Colton (Army) 6-3, 5-0 DNF
4. #118 Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) led Annie Hang (Army) 6-2, 3-1 DNF
5. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) led Della Taylor (Army) 6-2, 5-1 DNF
6. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Emily Stein (Army) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: