That's a wrap, folks. For those of you who stayed up to watch Midnight Madness kick off and stuck around all day long as Hurricane Sandy wreaked havoc outside and are now reading this final post of the day, thanks for sticking around!
Today you read 40 articles that gave you an in depth look at all the men's basketball players and that previewed Virginia's opponents in the upcoming 2012-2013 with help mostly from opposing blogs, but also from an SID and even a starting senior on the opposing team (Now we have all of Wofford's secrets!).
You read some great statistical analysis of the upcoming season and a look at all of our out-of-conference opponents as well. You even saw a preview from "Coach Bennett" himself. There was a discussion of NCAA Tournament hopes and a look at the women's basketball season as well.
In short, you should now feel fully prepared - and mostly excited - about the upcoming basketball season for the Hoos. Some come November 9, those of you in Northern Virginia or able to travel to Northern Virginia should be at George Mason rooting on the men, while those of you in Charlottesville should head over to John Paul Jones Arena to cheer on the women.
Thanks to everyone participated in tonight's trivia contest! There was a three-way tie for first place between Angel, Ben S. and Matt - each of them answered 15 of the 16 questions correctly! So we randomly picked a winner and that winner is... Matt P! Congratulations Matt!
But don't feel too bad for Ben (The_Superhoo), because congratulations to him for winning the comment contest! Do feel sorry for Angel who missed the very last question and walked away with nothing!
Matt and Ben will win either a personalized autographed picture of Tony Bennett, or a pair of lower level UVA - BC basketball tickets. Congratulations and thanks to everyone for playing along!
What were the trivia questions?
- Name the two former Hoos currently in the NBA. Answer: Mike Scott, Roger Mason, Jr. (Acceptable due to the vague question: Rick Carlisle).
- Which Cavalier was named defensive All-ACC last year? Answer: Jontel Evans.
- How many current ACC head coaches played in the NBA? Answer: One. (The one and only Tony Bennett.)
- Prior to last season, when was the last time Virginia won at least seven true road games? Answer: 1986-87.
- How many Gatorade State Players of the Year does Virginia have on its roster? Answer: Three. (Joe Harris, Paul Jesperson and Justin Anderson.)
- What was the name of the first UVA basketball venue? Answer: Fayerweather Gymnasium.
- Who was Virginia's most recent first-round NBA draft pick? Answer: Cory Alexander.
- What statue in Paris caused the UVA men's basketball bus to stop in the street for the team to hop out and take a group picture and hop back on before the police arrived? Answer: Thomas Jefferson.
- Who currently owns the UVA women's record for career points? Answer: Monica Wright (2,540).
- Which NBA team has drafted more Hoos than any other team in the NBA? Answer: Boston Celtics.
- How many current UVA basketball coaches played at UVA? Answer: Two (Jason Williford and Mike Curtis).
- When Mike Scott started understanding that his NBA dream was becoming a reality, he said that he wouldn't pinch himself until he bought something. What was that something? Answer: Truck (Chevy Tahoe).
- Who is the women's basketball locker room named after? Answer: Debbie Ryan.
- Who is the only current men's basketball player who has had a 20-point game in his career? Answer: Joe Harris.
- Who associated with the women's basketball program thought she was destined for the Peace Corps? Answer: Joanne Boyle.
- Since the shot clock era, what's the fewest number of points scored in a game by a UVA opponent, and what team was it? Answer: 34 (UMBC).
Hope you enjoyed today's coverage and are hyped up for the upcoming basketball season! Go forth with your new found knowledge and CHEER! Thanks to the Virginia Athletics Foundation and Basketball Operations for their help in making today's Midnight Madness possible!