There is probably something more effective Jontel Evans could be doing with his guide hand, but with 10 points, four assists and just one turnover, I can't complain.
Unfortunately, you're not getting anything creative out of us tonight. But as a contractual matter, we have to say something semi-intelligible. Perhaps we overuse this word around these parts, but tonight's buzzer-beater loss to Florida State was nothing short of a heartbreaker. Florida State's Ian Miller came up with a clutch game-winning, buzzer-beating three-pointer with just 0.8 seconds to go in the game.
Here are assorted thoughts in no particular order, but perhaps of interest to you. I have stripped this post of curse words, for the sake of the children.
1. Mike Scott had 28 points and 10 rebounds for what could be his final performance at John Paul Jones Arena. By comparison, Tyler Zeller had 30 points and eight rebounds on his senior night. But note that 20 of Zeller's points came from the free throw line. Carolina also scored 88 points that game, to Virginia's 60. You do the math, Tobacco Road Media.
2. Six of Virginia's eight losses have been by three points or fewer. I'm not sure there's anything else to say about this.
3. FSU Bernard James was ejected from the game because he decided to kick Joe Harris after the two tumbled to the ground while going for the ball. Even FSU Coach Leonard Hamilton was puzzled at that reaction, particularly because the game wasn't particularly chippy leading up to that point.
4. The 'Noles opened the second half with a bucket to take an 11 point lead. Virginia then used a 15-2 run to take a two point lead with 15:21 to go. Unfortunately, James' ejection and Okaro White fouling out immediately thereafter somehow sparked a 16-5 Seminole run to end the game.
5. Virginia is now in a must-win situation at College Park this weekend if the Hoos are to keep their NCAA Tournament hopes alive. An 8-8 record with a win or two in the ACC Tournament might be enough to do the trick given the weak bubble this year, but who wants to rely on that?
I cannot type a single 'nother word here, except a heartfelt thank you to Mike Scott, Sammy Zeglinski and Assane Sene for giving us four, or five, or are-you-sure-there-aren't-any-more-loopholes? years with Cavalier Basketball. The future is bright, and it is so because of your leadership.