clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Sinead Farrelly Named Finalist for Soccer News Net's Player of the Year

Virginia senior midfielder Sinead Farrelly has been named one of the 38 finalists for the Soccer News Net Women's Player of the Year Award. Nominated by Philly Soccer News, she is also eligible for the Regional Player of the Year Award. Fans will be able to vote for the top collegiate player until December 15. Online fan voting will account for 40% of the total toward the award. The remaining 60% of the vote will be cast by the editorial staff of all six Soccer News websites.

The Haverford, PA native was earlier named a semifinalist for the 2010 Hermann Trophy, awarded to the top college player by the Missouri Athletic Club. Farrelly was also named the ACC Offensive Player of the Year, and is just the tenth player in conference history to be a four-time first-team All Conference selection, and just the second to accomplish the feat in the 2000s.

The NSCAA All-American started all 22 games for the Cavaliers this season and led the team in scoring with 12 goals and seven assists for 31 points. She led the conference with six assists and five game-winning goals, with 26 of her 51 shots were on frame (.510).

Virginia is one of only four ACC schools to have a finalist for this award. Fans can vote here.

The editors of each of the six sites in the Soccer News Net network nominated up to six local players for the award, each of which will be eligible for the regional player of the year award. The nominations included athletes playing at colleges within each site's coverage area, as well as athletes from the area playing collegiately elsewhere in the country. Nine additional at-large selections rounded out the nominations.