The top-ranked Virginia Men's Tennis squad opened up the 2011 NCAA Tournament in style this afternoon at Snyder Tennis Center, with a dominant 4-0 victory against overmatched Sacred Heart. It took less than two hours for the Hoos to earn their 30th victory of the season (against no losses), the fifth consecutive season Virginia has reached that mark.
"It was nice to get back to competition," said head coach Brian Boland. "It had been three weeks since the ACC Tournament and that layoff is harder than it looks. I thought the guys handled it well and we got through that transition of playing again. I was overall pleased with the performance and we look forward to playing a difficult Wake Forest team tomorrow."
As noted by Coach Boland, the Hoos will play ACC rival Wake Forest tomorrow afternoon in the tournament's second round. Immediately preceding that match, the Virginia women will play their first-round NCAA Tournament match against Army (noon).
Full results below the fold.
#1 Virginia 4, Sacred Heart 0
1. #2 Courtney/Shabaz (UVa) vs. Kasyanov/Sullo (SH) 5-5 DNF
2. Jenkins/Uriguen (UVa) def. Ujkic/Syer (SH) 8-3
3. Domijan/Singh (UVa) def. Mazzarese/Conrad (SH) 8-0
1. #5 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. Kirill Kasyanov (SH) 6-2, 6-1
2. #2 Alex Domijan (UVa) led Chris Ujkic (SH) 6-0, 5-0 (40-0) DNF
3. #34 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Nick Mazzarese (SH) 6-1, 6-1
4. #56 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Mike Syer (SH) 6-2, 6-1
5. #39 Drew Courtney (UVa) led Chadd Sullo (SH) 6-1, 3-3 DNF
6. Justin Shane (UVa) led Cole Conrad (SH) 6-3, 1-0 DNF
Order of Finish