What: Virginia Cavaliers (0-0, 0-0 ACC) vs. William & Mary Tribe (0-0, 0-0 CAA)
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Date: Saturday, September 3, 2011
Place: Scott Stadium
TV: None (ESPN3.com)
Radio: Virginia Sports Radio Network
Spread: Virginia -7.5 / -8.5
Last Meeting: September 5, 2009. Virginia 14, William & Mary 26
Last Time Out: N/A
Series: Virginia 26-6-1
Aside from it being the start of football season for the Cavaliers, no UVa fan has been looking forward to this game since that fateful day two years ago when the Tribe dealt what would be the fatal blow to Al Groh's career at Virginia. While many are looking at tomorrow for another big upset from Appalachain State over Virginia Tech, what most people are not realizing is that W&M is ranked No. 3/4, and as high as No.1 nationally in some FCS preseason polls.
But in the end, they're still an FCS team. It would serve as no excuse if the Tribe came into Charlottesville and did the unspeakable. Mike London's looking to take a heralded freshman class and lead the Cavaliers back to the promised land...or at least, the land of winning records. Prediction? Virginia 34, W&M 10. Our defense scores a touchdown.
Fun facts follow the fold (see what I did there?).
Here are a few fun facts for you viewing pleasure:
- Virginia has not won consecutive season openers since 2005. 2005!
- Mike London's first full-time coaching gig was back in 1991, when he was an assistant under William & Mary's head coach Jimmye Laycock. Laycock has been at W&M for 31 full years now.
- The Tribe have not had back-to-back wins over Virginia since 1976/86. The only other time before that was 1959/60.
- UVa's not the only school with a brand new quarterback -- Fourteen FBS schools are in the same position, and as we stated a few days ago, Virginia's willing to switch QBs if need be. Thirteen other schools are looking for a franchise -- or any -- dealer.
- Don't scream too loudly. It's study hall day for the Tribe. Every day is study hall day!
Leave your pre-, in-, and post-game comments here.