The No. 2 Virginia Cavaliers' Men's Tennis team is facing what will probably be their toughest weekend of the regular season, but are handling it just fine. The Hoos took down No. 15 Texas in decided fashion last night, blanking them 7-0 in the season home opener and handing the Longhorns their first loss of the season.
All three doubles teams took care of business decidedly. Four of the six singles matches were decided in only two sets, though No. 1 Mitchell Frank needed a third set match tiebreak (10-3) to finish off Texas's Sudanwa Sitaram. Birthday boy Drew Courtney also needed a third set to clinch his win - both of his winning sets were won in tiebreak.
Former Virginia tennis great and two-time NCAA National Champion Somdev Devvarman was at the match supporting the Hoos. Devvarman has risen to No. 90 in the world and is holds the record for the highest ATP ranking held by a former Cavalier (62).
At No. 2, this is the lowest Virginia, 2-0, have been ranked since February, 2009. The Cavaliers are still in search of their first national team title, having been bounced out of the tournament by USC in each of the past three years.
The Hoos will face No. 5 Florida today at 1:00 p.m., then No. 11 Texas A&M on Sunday, before ACC play opens up later in the week against Maryland. All of this weekend's matches are held at Boar's Head and admission is free.
Here are last night's results:
#2 VIRGINIA 7, #15 TEXAS 0
1. Jenkins/Courtney (UVa) def. Hess-Olesen/Hilliard (UT) 8-3
2. Domijan/Rooda (UVa) def. Holiner/Whitehead (UT) 8-1
3. Frank/Uriguen (UVa) def. Camillone/Lewis (UT) 8-4
1. #11 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Soren Hess-Olesen (UT) 6-2, 6-2
2. Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #112 Daniel Whitehead (UT) 6-2, 6-1
3. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Sudanwa Sitaram (UT) 6-2, 3-6, 10-3
4. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Lloyd Glasspool (UT) 3-6, 7-6(3), 7-6(6)
5. #57 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Chris Camillone (UT) 6-4, 6-4
6. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) def. Jacoby Lewis (UT) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: