Despite the team's 4-7 record, Matt Johns is having one of the best years for a Virginia Cavalier quarterback in their history. Here are some stats on his season and career so far:
- He was the first UVA QB to throw 344 or more yards in a win since Marques Hagans in the Music City Bowl in 2005.
- Johns 2,639 passing yards this year are already fifth most for a Cavalier season. He only needs 338 more next week versus Virginia Tech to pass Matt Schaub for the single season record.
- If he throws for 200 or more yards, it will be his 9th such game this season, tying Schaub for the single season record.
- Johns 19 TDs are currently tied for 6th best for a Wahoo passer in a season, but can move up to 2nd on the list if he throws three against the Hokies. Schaub's 28 TD passes in 2002 is quite out of reach.
- The junior passer's career numbers are beginning to pile up as well. He is currently 12th in UVA passing yards history and tied for 7th in passing touchdowns. He still has a ways to go to catch Schaub's career marks though. If Johns plays a full 12 games next year he will need to average 288 yards and 2.2 TD passes a game to pass the former Cavalier great.
Speaking of Matt Schaub, he will be starting again in the NFL this week for the first time in almost two years.