Six games into the new season and the undefeated Virginia Cavaliers are already riding high. UVA is ranked #6 in the AP poll and #2 in the latest KenPom rankings mostly due to the Hoos’ suffocating defense. Here are some eye-popping stats showing what the Cavaliers have done so far:
- Virginia is only allowing 41.3 points per game, which ranks #1 out of 351 D-I schools in the country. The #2 ranked team is Utah at 52.0 points per game. Last year the Hoos were ranked #2 with a 60.1 ppg. Each opponent has been held to their lowest point total of the season and overall 34.6 points lower than their combined scoring average.
- UVA’s defense is #1 in KenPom’s defensive efficiency rankings, while the offense is ranked #10. The Cavaliers defense has finished ranked in the top ten each of the past three years.
- Virginia is the first team to hold three straight D-I opponents to under 40 points in the past 20 seasons. Only eight D-1 teams have been held to under 40 points this season, with three of those coming against the Hoos.
- UVA has already had three games with at least six blocks. The Cavaliers only had three such games all of last season.
- Virginia has also shown its incredible depth so far. Six different Hoos have led the team in scoring and the bench has outscored the starters 224-213.
Hopefully the Cavaliers can keep up the great play against Ohio State and #25 West Virginia this week.