After a huge road win over Notre Dame, the Virginia Cavaliers have an even bigger game in hostile territory on Sunday. The Hoos face off against #1 and defending champion Villanova in the sold-out Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. The task sounds taunting, but UVA has been impressive on the road this season and in the past four years. Here are some of the eye-popping stats:
- Virginia has six road wins, more than any other team in the AP top 15.
- Top 15 teams are 151-12 at home this year. The Cavaliers have two of those 12 wins. (#6 Louisville in December and #14 Notre Dame this week.)
- UVA has 29 road wins, which is second most in major conferences. (Villanova has 33.)
- The Hoos have seven wins against ranked teams on the road. No team in the country has more.
- Virginia has more ACC road wins (23) than four teams have total ACC wins (GT, VT, BC, Wake).
- The Cavaliers have 23 wins on the road in the ACC. Only UNC and Duke have more HOME ACC wins.
Road warriors is right, LP. Hopefully UVA can keep up the impressive road success by dethroning the Wildcats on Sunday.