After a busy National Signing Day—albeit one not full of surprises—Virginia football coach Bronco Mendenhall addressed the media about the Hoos’ 2017 signees.
National Signing Day 2017 Press Conference
Coach Mendenhall LIVE recapping the 2017 National Signing Day!Posted by Virginia Football on Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Some of the highlights:
- Talked about the 2016 class being “transitional,” and this year’s class being “foundational,” adding depth and talent with guys who fit the program’s goals and philosophy well.
- VERY emphatic in disliking the “reality TV nature of signing day.” Spoke at some length about supporting two signing days, one in December in line with JUCO signing day to let guys who have made up their mind early commit officially without “drama” of buildup to signing day.
"Reality TV nature of signing day" part of problem. "Doing nothing to prepare kids for reality," but recognizes he has to work in that world— PMW (@pmwcville) February 1, 2017
Says lack of mystery reveals in class is on purpose: wants guys who are intentional about where they're going, "less drama more work"— PMW (@pmwcville) February 1, 2017
CBM in favor of early signing date in line with JUCO signing day. Would allow early guys to make choice official earlier— PMW (@pmwcville) February 1, 2017
Would save programs resources in "protecting" guys who have decided. Wouldnt accelerate since decisions already in place— PMW (@pmwcville) February 1, 2017
Thinks early signing day would cut down on drama, which "some schools LOVE/thrive on" but make things better for everyone else— PMW (@pmwcville) February 1, 2017
- Coaches will continue to emphasize Virginia recruiting first, going to anywhere in the state the right guys come from. Acknowledged that the lack of guys from 804/757 area codes in the 2017 class is something they’d like to do better on in the future.
- UVA will continue to use graduate transfers to fill immediate needs as younger players develop, but building the program will be based on four years of developing high school recruits. Any transfers who come into the program have to be able to contribute at a high level right away—preferably as starters, but at minimum by being “in the rotation” for playing time.
- Emphasized how much he likes building relationships with schools like FUMA and Woodberry. Said there are “18 to 20” schools like them in what he plans to establish as UVA’s recruiting footprint—about an 8-hour driving radius from Charlottesville—but those two are closest both in terms of geography and culture and playing style.
That's all from Mendenhall, with tease of another possible signee "going beyond today"— PMW (@pmwcville) February 1, 2017