This post is sponsored content and presented by the Hyatt Place and Residence Inn Blacksburg-University.
For the first time in approximately a billion years, the Virginia Cavaliers, at 7-3, are guaranteed a bowl game while the Virginia Tech Hokies, at just 4-5, will need to beat the Hoos just to get themselves into the postseason (barring a late addition to their schedule). So while you’re thinking about stuffing your faces with turkey on Thanksgiving, go ahead and start making plans to make the trip to Blacksburg and take over Lane Stadium on November 23. Here’s how you can make the most of your stay while you’re there.
Grab a Drink and Bite to Eat
Blacksburg houses a variety of bars and restaurants with unique atmospheres and specialties. No matter what you’re craving, you’ll find what you’re looking for in this lively college town.
Wake Up and Brunch: Rise and shine with brunch from Our Daily Bread. Located on South Main Street in Blacksburg Square, Our Daily Bread is known for their mouth-watering bakery items and inventive breakfast specials. Enjoy anything from brioche French toast to a crab cake omelet. Don’t forget your classic mimosa to accompany the most important meal of the day!
Local Favorites: If you’re looking for a spot to enjoy delicious food and drinks before or after the game in the downtown Blacksburg, several options are available within a quarter-mile radius.
- Mellow Mushroom is an eclectic pizzeria known for its specialty pizzas, including the Thai dye and red skin potato pie.
- Savor the flavor of the fresh Baja-style menu at Cabo Fish Taco, offering an assortment of fresh seafood and Mexican cuisine.
- Visit Sharkey’s Wing & Rib Joint to sip on a craft beer while munching on some of the best wings, ribs, and burgers in town.
- Conveniently located in the heart of downtown Blacksburg, the Cellar is known for their signature pizzas, sandwiches, and extensive beer selection. Be sure to check out their craft beer shop on your way out!
- Souvlaki is Blacksburg’s prime spot for Greek specialties, including pita wraps, gyros, souvlaki, and falafel, right off the edge of Virginia Tech’s campus.
- Benny’s has two locations in Blacksburg, including one in Downtown Blacksburg, and serves giant, thin-crust New York-style pizza until 3 a.m. to satisfy your late-night cravings.
Hang Out at Local Favorites: Breweries and Wineries
- Opened by one of VT’s Geography of Wine professors, Blacksburg Wine Lab is a brand new space in town to experience wine from lesser-known regions of the world while enjoying Greek and Mediterranean cuisine.
- Cheers to local ingredients and delicious beer at Rising Silo Brewery. This farm-to-table establishment offers a variety of brews made with ingredients right from the farm and from other regional farmers.
Sights to See
- Bald Knob–Pembroke, VA: If you’re looking for a short, intense hike with breathtaking views at the end, Bald Knob is your calling. Just a 30-minute drive from Blacksburg on 460 West, Bald Knob faces southwest, making it a perfect spot to watch the sunset.
- McAfee’s Knob–Troutville, VA: Take in some of the best views the Southern Shenandoah Valley has to offer at McAfee’s Knob. With a 1,740-foot elevation gain, many would rank this hike as moderately difficult. Despite this, McAfee’s Knob is one of the most photographed spots in the area and is worth the climb.
- The Lyric Theatre: Unique to Blacksburg, The Lyric Theatre is a historic boutique theatre in downtown Blacksburg that shows indie films, live music and more.
- Frank’s CineBowl & Grille: Grab a drink, show off your bowling skills, and catch that movie you’ve been dying to see at Frank’s in the First and Main Shopping Center on South Main Street.
Make Your Stay Memorable
While you visit, treat yourself to the ultimate football experience and a restful stay at the Hyatt Place and Residence Inn in Blacksburg. Both hotels are conveniently located across the street from Virginia Tech and provide a complimentary shuttle and tailgate for all hotel guests. You’ll enjoy some of the most spacious guest rooms and suites in Blacksburg, a hot breakfast buffet, and complimentary lightning-fast Wi-Fi. Click here to learn more about their football packages and make your reservation today.
This is a sponsored post presented by the Hyatt Place and Residence Inn Blacksburg-University.