One of the unique traditions instilled by Bronco Mendenhall when he arrived in Charlottesville was allowing the Virginia Cavaliers’ captains to select which players had earned the right to select a jersey number. The tradition continued for a third season over the weekend, as 41 players have chosen their numbers for 2018.
2018 UVA football jersey numbers
No word yet on which player got to pick first overall. Jordan Ellis carried that honor each of the last two seasons.
Six of the players have changed jersey numbers from the 2017 campaign:
- #6 PK Kier (last year: 26; Kurt Benkert was #6)
- #7 Chris Moore (last year: 39; Doni Dowling was 7 until taking Tim Harris’ #5)
- #9 Dominic Sheppard (last year: 30; Andrew Brown was #9)
- #10 Jamari Peacock (last year: 27; Kirk Garner was #10)
- #11 Charles Snowden (last year: 38; Joe Spaziani was #11)
- #99 Joe Spaziani (last year: 11; no one wore #99)
There are enough jersey-earners to field an entire starting offense: 6 offensive linemen, quarterback Bryce Perkins, four tailbacks, Peacock at fullback, O.Z. the great and powerful, two tight ends and five wide receivers.
On the other side, three defensive linemen earned numbers. There are nine linebackers behind them (the most of any position group), plus eight defensive backs.
Spaziani can snap it to punter Lester Coleman, but no placekicker has earned a number yet.
Additional jersey selections were previously made each Friday. Look for plenty more in the three weeks before the season opener against Richmond.