One of the coolest parts of making a bowl game is reading about all the cool swag that the bowls give to the players. It’s one of the rare instances where the NCAA actually allows player gifts! Don’t worry though, big brother caps each player gift at just $550.
Each year, the Sports Business Journal puts together a list of all the bowl game gifts. Orange Bowl participants get a Tourneau watch, a full-sized split helmet, and a gift suite. The watch has a beautiful Capital One Orange Bowl logo on its face.
What is a gift suite? Players go into a private suite full of really neat things, and they fill out an order form for what they want. It’s like a curate shopping spree, up to the $550 limit (taking into account the cost of the watch and helmet as well).
We don’t know exactly what’s in this year’s suite, but UVA Football gave us a glimpse on Instagram:
It happens in a flash, but here’s what we caught:
- Yeti Cooler
- Beats Studio 3 Wireless
- XDrone Racer
- Ray Bans
- Nintendo Switch
- Citizen Watch
- plus, there’s mention of a TV at some point there.
Players don’t get all of that of course, but it’s a great selection. Here’s what the rest of the ACC got:
- Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (CFP Semifinals; Clemson): $390 Vanilla Visa gift card; Fossil watch; football (Note that the National Championship organizers did not disclose gifts, although last year title game participants each received an Armani Exchange watch and case, a jacket, a garment bag and a New Era cap.)
- Camping World Bowl (Notre Dame): $400 Best Buy gift card; watch; Herschel backpack with luggage tag
- New Era Pinstripe Bowl (Wake Forest): JBL/Harmon gift card; a variety of New Era products
- Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl (Louisville): Gift suite; Fossil watch
- Belk Bowl (Virginia Tech): Shopping trip to Belk department store; Wenger watch
- Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl (Florida State): Gift suite; Timely Watch Co. Silvertone watch; Majestic Pro-Base fleece pullover; Ogio Excelsior backpack; New Era cap; coin
- Walk-On’s Independence Bowl (Miami): Gift suite; Timely Watch Co. watch; beanie; “History of The Bowls: Celebrating the Good of The Game” book; football
- Quick Lane Bowl (Pitt): Best Buy gift card; JBL E55BT over-ear wireless headphones by Harman; Sticker Genius life-sized PhotoSlap decal for each participant of his likeness; hoodie; T-shirt; pom hat; backpack and tag; football; mini helmet
- TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl (Boston College): Gift suite; coin; “History of The Bowls: Celebrating the Good of The Game” book; bucket hat
- Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman (North Carolina): SBJ was unable to obtain the list.
Other than Clemson, who will like double-dip with the CFP Semifinals then the Title game, which school was the big winner from a prize package perspective?