Virginia Cavaliers vs Virginia Tech Hokies
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Date: January 14th, 2023
Time: 7:00 P.M. ET
Online Streaming: WATCHESPN
Betting line: UVA -5.5
The Big Preview: UVA basketball tips off against struggling Virginia Tech Hokies
UVA Basketball Mailbag: Why Ryan Dunn doesn’t get consistent minutes, each UVA player’s NBA comp, and more
Evaluating UVA men’s basketball’s chances to win the ACC
Be sure to follow us on Twitter as we live tweet tonight’s game!
Streaking the Lawn — @STL_UVA
Zach Carey — @Zach_Carey_
Dan Siegel — @DanSiegelShow
Ryan Reese — @HoosOn_First
Ben Wieland — @BenWieland
Paul Guttman — @Tiki_UVA
Will Campbell — @WillC_45
Paul Wiley — @PaulWileyVA
Lastly, here are some of UVA’s media notes:
All-Time vs. Virginia Tech
• Virginia is 96-58 all-time vs. Virginia Tech, including a 40-13 mark in Charlottesville, in the series that dates to 1914-15.
• Virginia split two games against Virginia Tech last season, defeating the Hokies 54-52 at John Paul Jones Arena and losing 62-53 at Cassell Coliseum.
• The Cavaliers have a three-game home win streak vs. the Hokies at JPJ.
• The Cavaliers are 3-2 in their last five games against the Hokies and 6-10 in their last 10.
• Head coach Tony Bennett is 17-8 all-time vs. Virginia Tech.
Last Time vs. The Hokies
• Keve Aluma scored 24 points and blocked four shots to lead Virginia Tech to a 62-53 win over Virginia in a Commonwealth Clash at Cassell Coliseum on Monday, Feb. 14, 2022.
• Jayden Gardner recorded his sixth double-double of the season with team highs in points (17) and rebounds (15).
• UVA went 0 of 9 from 3-point range, failing to make a 3-pointer for the first time in 176 games.
• Virginia Tech shot 43.5 percent from the field, while Virginia shot 40 percent (30% in the second half).
• Tech made five 3-pointers and went 17 of 21 on free throws.
• Shooting guard Armaan Franklin (26, 21, 20, 20) leads Virginia with four 20-point games, while Jayden Gardner (26), and Ben Vander Plas (20) have also registered 20-point efforts.
• Franklin has led UVA in scoring in six contests this season and needs 50 points to reach 1,000 career points.
• Franklin is averaging 7.3 rebounds over the last three games.
• Vander Plas collected 15 points, seven rebounds and three assists in his second start at Florida State (1/14/23).
• Vander Plas is averaging 16 points and 7.5 rebounds the past two games and is 8 of 19 from 3-point range over the past three games.
• Gardner (12 points, 11 rebounds) registered his 37th career double-double vs. Michigan.
• Gardner snared his 1,000th career rebound vs. Syracuse.
• Isaac McKneely matched a career high with four 3-pointers vs. Syracuse and has made at least one 3-pointer in 12 games.
• McKneely is shooting 56.5 percent (13 of 23) from 3-point range over the last five games.
• Reece Beekman registered his fifth career game with five or more steals vs. North Carolina (1/10).
• Beekman is shooting career bests from 3-point range (48.6%) and charity stripe (81%).