The first AP poll of the year will not be out until the Monday before the season starts, 11/9, but the Virginia Cavaliers are expected to be in the top ten again. In the meantime, here are some fun facts about UVA's history in the rankings.
- Virginia has been ranked in the top ten in each of the past 23 polls, dating back to March 3rd 2013, joined by only Duke and Arizona.
- Last year's Cavaliers team was the first to be ranked all year since 2000-01 and only the fifth squad to do so in the program's 110 year history.
- UVA went 18 years without being ranked ahead of Duke (1995-2014), but have been ahead of the Blue Devils in 10 of the past 21 polls.
- The Hoos were ranked as high as #2 in the poll last season, their highest ranking since 1983.
- In Ralph Sampson's final three years (1980-83), the Cavaliers were ranked in the top ten in every poll.
- Since Sampson left, UVA has only finished the season ranked four times, and two of those were in the past two years.
- If the Hoos are ranked #8 or better in next weeks poll, it will be their highest preseason ranking in over 30 years.
Meanwhile UVA football has only been ranked once, for one week, in the past 7+ seasons. Only two more weeks to go until tip off!