After a pair of road losses to Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech, the Virginia Cavaliers dropped 9 spots in the updated Associated Press Top 25 Poll to #13. Virginia checked in at #11 in the Coaches Poll. Kansas maintained its top spot in both polls, followed by Oklahoma, Maryland, Michigan State, and North Carolina.
UVA's drop in both polls was likely cushioned by other teams around it adding losses in the past week also; Providence, Kentucky, and Arizona all joined Virginia in falling out of the top 10.
A few other notes, focusing on the AP Poll:
- Virginia will take on #8 Miami tomorrow night at JPJ. It will be the first time that Virginia has played an opponent ranked ahead of it since the Hoos beat #4 Syracuse at JPJ two years ago to clinch the ACC regular season title.
- Six ACC teams are ranked: UNC is #5, Miami #8, Duke #9, UVA #13, Pittsburgh #20, and Louisville #21.
- Villanova (#6) and WVU (#11) are also in the top 25 - Virginia beat both during the non-conference schedule.
- UVA's 9-spot drop wasn't the poll's largest. Arizona fell from 7th to 18th after dropping a pair of road games as well, to UCLA and USC (in 4 OTs).
- Last week, every voter had UVA ranked between #3 and #6 on their AP Ballot. This week, Virginia received votes ranging from #6 to #24. Scott Richey of the News-Gazette in Champaign, IL was the optimistic #6 vote. Jon Rothstein (#21), Seth Davis (#22), and Jon Wilner (#23) were the lowest votes.
The computers roughly agree with the assessments of the pollsters:
Here are the full polls:
|1||Kansas Jayhawks (63)||14-1||1,621|
|2||Oklahoma Sooners (1)||13-1||1,551|
|4||Michigan State Spartans (1)||16-1||1,446|
|5||North Carolina Tar Heels||15-2||1,371|
|9||Duke Blue Devils||14-2||1,100|
|11||West Virginia Mountaineers||14-1||867|
|15||Texas A&M Aggies||13-2||668|
|17||Iowa State Cyclones||12-3||555|
|19||South Carolina Gamecocks||15-0||527|
|Others receiving votes: USC 79, Indiana 59, UCLA 21, Utah 10, Texas Tech 10, Saint Mary's 8, Wichita St 7, Valparaiso 6, Oregon 6, Hawaii 4, St Bonaventure 1, Oregon State 1, Akron 1, Dayton 1|
USA Today Coaches Poll
|Others Receiving Votes: Connecticut 34; Oregon 18; Southern California 16; UCLA 12; George Washington 11; California 9; Dayton 5; Houston 5; Valparaiso 5; Washington 3; Texas Tech 3; Cincinnati 2; Arkansas-Little Rock 2; Boise State 1; Hawaii 1; Utah 1; Saint Mary's 1.|