It’s hard to imagine a more perfect start to the 2018 season for the Virginia Cavaliers than what they secured on Saturday. Of course there was the 42-13 win over Richmond, with Jordan Ellis’ performance rating among the top nationally according to Pro Football Focus.
And in the midst of that, a commitment from a four-star offensive lineman—and one that picked UVA over ACC competition, no less. Ja’Quay Hubbard let the whole world know just how he felt about his Saturday night commitment, too.
Hubbard wasn’t the only UVA target excited for his commitment, either...
[thinking face emoji, thinking face emoji, thinking face emoji]
Here’s the rest of the recruiting news from the past week.
- The headliner among UVA’s visitors Saturday was the official visit from Louisiana RB Mike Hollins, who had Virginia just behind SMU after an official visit to the Mustangs earlier in the summer. The coaching staff seems to have won over the mom (which was a big part of landing Hubbard).
With the “Family First, Last, and Always” mantra at the core of UVA’s recruiting pitch, it’s good to see Hollins joined by lots of other family on his visit, many of whom call the 757 home. The combination of Ricky Brumfield’s area responsibilities in Louisiana and Mark Atuaia’s position responsibilities for a running back sets Virginia up well, as both are proving to be strong recruiters for the Hoos.
- Four-star linebacker commit Hunter Stewart was also in the house, hanging out with Quin Blanding.
There were a TON of new offers to go out over the past week. These are some of the highlights.
- Among 2019 offers, one of the few was defensive lineman Jared Harrison-Hunte from New York. The 6’4, 286-pound three-star boasts more than 20 offers, including Georgia, Penn State, and Ohio State.
September 1st marked the official beginning of the period of “general correspondence” permitted for current high school juniors (aka the class of 2020). UVA wasted no time in getting a slew of 2020 offers out the door, including:
- Running back Ahmani Marshall from North Carolina
- Dual-threat QB Jakhi Douglas from Louisiana
- Wide receiver Jacobi Bellazin, also from Louisiana
- Defensive end Kyle Kennard from Georgia
- Wide receiver Marquez Bell from Florida
- Offensive tackle Sam Rengert from Ohio
- Defensive back T. Lee from Georgia
UVA currently has two commits in the 2020 class: defensive tackle Jahmeer Carter and defensive back A.J. Webb.
- Running back Seneca Milledge scored a 36-yard TD in Dunbar’s (Ft. Myers, FL) loss to Lehigh.
- Quarterback R.J. Harvey leads Edgewater (FL) to 38-14 win and a 2-0 start.
- Safety Chayce Chalmers recorded a pick-six in Stonewall Jackson’s loss (covered by STL’s own Eric Hobeck).
- Offensive lineman Jonathan Leech helped Mill Creek (GA) get 266 yards rushing in win over Norcross.
- Tiquest Terry dominated in all phases as Blacksburg beat Lord Botetourt 45-35:
Terry contributed in multiple ways.
The 5-foot-9 Virginia recruit had three catches for 79 yards, including a 56-yard tapestry that he wove to the end zone through the Botetourt defense for a 24-14 lead 19 seconds before halftime.
Terry threw a key block that sprung Mitchell for an 83-yard TD on a kickoff return for a 17-14 lead in the first half. He also blocked a potential game-tying field goal late in the first half.